Sure, if someone dies of old age.

A different story if one or both parents die from an accident leaving their
possibly still you children to fend for themselves.

They never thought of giving a whole lot of assets to the children.

But if they did and the child dies?

Maybe a better system would be for corporations as profit machines to
either be outlawed or boycotted, especially if they are providing an
essential service and doing so very cheaply due to automation.

Instead these could be run at no profit, with the money made going into
funding a living wage, or making their products very cheap.
Of course too cheap might bring wastefulness, so maybe simply ensure that
the money made goes back to the people who can't work in that job (fund
living wage) due to the efficiency of modern methods.