From: Bob Higgins

*       JB: Then you  are mistaken. The purity is immaterial – the porosity is
everything. Of course, if MFMP used a fused tube then that is another design
flaw.

*       BH: The tube MFMP used is a high purity, high (near theoretical)
density alumina tube

Well, there you have it ! You have made clear that there a second part of the
problem – and another intrinsic design flaw.

There is no scientific reason to make these kinds of major changes in a
successful experiment, and then to defend them to the point of irrationality,
when the positive results did not happen.

The tubes of Rossi and Parkhomov are sintered alumina. Sintered alumina has
just enough porosity -- 7-8% to allow proton diffusion. The experimenters may
not have chosen porous tubes for that exact reason, but that doesn’t matter in
the end. Why they chose sintered alumina is not important - since it works.

Nor does it matter where --- in the reactor --- the experimenter “thought” the
reaction was occurring, unless there is proof that the experimenter really
understands what is going on. No one understands this reaction, as best I can
tell – so in any replication, the main thing that can be done is to duplicate.
The MFMP did not duplicate.

It does little to try to defend these changes “logically”, since the end result
was a null experiment. Maybe the next run will be positive, but as of now, it
appears that the changes which are at variance to the successful runs - are the
crux of the problem.

In both the successful experiments, there was porous alumina together with
nickel-based resistance wire. In the unsuccessful MFMP reaction the was
non-porous alumina and there was no nickel in the resistance wire. It does not
take a genius to understand that these two differences could be responsible for
the lack of success since we have 20 years of papers to use to help in an
analysis. We know the gainful Ni-H reaction is proved – going back to
Thermacore, and that it requires hydrogen in contact with nickel – lots of
nickel.

For the Thermacore gas phase experiment, they used hundreds of feet of nickel
capillary tube to get 50 excess watts. It is incomprehensible to think that far
less nickel will give far more excess heat, simply by raising the temperature.
Bottom line: the sub-gram of nickel fuel is NOT sufficient in my opinion, and
based on past experiments which did produce gain.

And yes – this is my opinion and you can and will ignore it. But I would be
remiss in not putting it forward and trying to emphasize how much stronger the
scientific logic is - than to say basically “we made major changes, got null
results, but the changes we made are defensible.”

Jones