I think it's a valid point to check the inner alumina tube for leaks, which
can probably be done by careful postmortem.  Also I wonder if the alumina
tube holding the Ni - LiAlH4 was sealed in a vacum.  That would be the only
other concern is if it was filled under a vacum, or pumped down is if the
seal broke somehow (thermal expansion?) of the fuel cylinder and seal.

   As an alternative to the dog bone design and to rapidly test fuel
mixture, I wonder how the alumina tube would do using microwave as the
external heat source?   That may help in LiAlH4  dehydrogenation process
and Ni-H diffusion and would help make experimenting with fuel mix a little
easier.