  From: Bob Higgins
  To: vortex-l@eskimo.com
  Sent: Wednesday, December 31, 2014 7:37 AM
  Subject: Re: [Vo]:The MFMP replication effort live on youtube.

  I think the heater is a heater; and Kanthal as the heater wire has nothing to
do with it.  We now believe that Rossi may have used a SiC heater element and
that also has no Ni.

  I also don't believe that the H2 just comes out through the 99.8% high purity
alumina reactor tube.

  The tubes MFMP bought were formed with one end closed, so a seal was needed
only on one end.  This was the first time to try to glue the tube shut.  Most
ceramic adhesives have a multi-stage cure.  It begins with a chemical or room
temperature organic cure.  As it heats, a glass-melt phase forms and furthers
the bond.  Finally at highest temperature, ceramic crystal growth occurs and
adds more to the bond.  The glue used was not meant for forming a seal - it was
meant for mechanical bonding and filling only.  For this MFMP trial, only a
room temperature cure was used.  By the time the H2 began to get released, the
glass phase had probably not formed.  Parkhomov speculated that the pressure
may reach 100 bar, and at this pressure, it surely would have leaked out of the
seal if the glass phase had not formed.  We do intend to ask Parkhomov what
adhesive he used and what process he used to insure it was sealed before the
high pressure formed.

  With this long alumina test tube (closed one end), it is possible to heat one
end hot to form the seal while the small charge of fuel is kept cool in a water
bath at the other end.  This may be the next trial at sealing.

  Bob Higgins