revtec wrote:

----- Original Message ----- From: "Edmund Storms" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: <vortex-l@eskimo.com>
Sent: Saturday, December 10, 2005 4:43 PM
Subject: Re: OffTopic: Lust and the bible

I admire your effort to calculate the size of the common flesh pool,

which essentially makes us all brothers and sisters in sex. However, was
Paul not using this concept as a quaint way to describe making a baby?

Ed

I don't think so.  Here is the verse in New King James version: I Corinthian
6:16

Or do you not know that he who is joined to a harlot is one body with her?
For "the two" He says, "shall become one flesh."

We all know that we do not become literally one flesh when we have sex. We do not even join in any spiritual way. The act is simply the sharing of pleasure, except if a child results. The only time "one flesh" results is when love is present before the act. Therefore, this way of describing the sex act must have a nonliteral meaning. What do you think the nonliteral meaning might be?

Ed

Jeff