People are conflating advances in hardware with advances in software.
Software has been stuck in the dark ages for decades and as a result has
metastasized to fill whatever capacity Moore's Law has provided with
linear, at best, advance in utility.  For many day-to-day operations the
responsiveness of systems like MS Windows has actually decreased.

There are real advances in software but they're generally buried in the
noise.