To: <vortex-l@eskimo.com>
Sent: Friday, March 27, 2015 2:20 PM
Subject: RE: [Vo]:A picture is worth a thousand words, or maybe 10k

Given that the deuteron is a magnetic dipole - a quantum nuclear magnet
which interacts with its own electrons to form a magnon... we have an
interesting situation when 3 deuterons, connected at the focal point as if
one pole, and having an x,y, and z axis... oscillate at elevated
temperatures. Since a single pole is expressed outwardly, this arrangement
looks to all the world to be a tiny monopole, but of course it is not.

Efimov effect in quantum magnets .... Nishida, et al. Nature Physics 9,
93-97 (2013)
http://www.nature.com/nphys/journal/v9/n2/abs/nphys2523.html

This paper adds some formality to the above emerging view that a lithium-6
nucleus, when acting like 3 deuterons on a transient basis, is coupling spin
energy from the Dirac sea into the normal spatial dimensions of a simple
reactor.

Quote: "Physics is said to be universal when it emerges regardless of the
underlying microscopic details. A prominent example is the Efimov effect,
which predicts the emergence of an infinite tower of three-body bound states
obeying discrete scale invariance when the particles interact resonantly.
Because of its universality and peculiarity, the Efimov effect has been the
subject of extensive research in chemical, atomic, nuclear and particle
physics for decades. Here we employ an anisotropic Heisenberg model to show
that collective excitations in quantum magnets (magnons) also exhibit the
Efimov effect. We locate anisotropy-induced two-magnon resonances, compute
binding energies of three magnons and find that they fit into the universal
scaling law. We propose several approaches to experimentally realize the
Efimov effect in quantum magnets, where the emergent Efimov states of
magnons can be observed with commonly used spectroscopic measurements. Our
study thus opens up new avenues for universal few-body physics in condensed
matter systems."

From: Jones Beene

Bob,

In general - the evidence says that there is an almost complete lack of high energy radiation, or neutron activation, in the reported experiments even at the kilowatt thermal level- this means that there are no neutrons, no fusion
and little transmutation (other than incidental).

If any of these indicia were present, there would be substantial activation: which would be proof. But there is none of this. It seem prudent to drop the idea of nuclear fusion until there is minimal evidence that supports it. Now
it is simply a default position.

The path forward in R&D is clear to me - construct two cells, one depleted
in Li7 and the other depleted in Li6. If there is no clear advantage to the
Li6, then this  hypothesis fails and another one must be found. Experiment
rules, and experiment says that there is no nuclear fusion.

Unfortunately, ORNL is quoting $35,000 gram for Li6. This is many times
higher - probably 100x higher than last year. It looks like politics has
become involved, and that there could be a high level effort to discourage
the use of Li6. Why?

From: Bob Cook

Jones--

The Li-6 loves neutrons and will readily change to Li-7, if one is nearby.
It may be that the Li-6 acts as a catalyst to combine the charge of a proton
and an electron to form a neutron and He-5, which in turn gives up another
neutron and gets to He-4. The neutrons can then combine with most anything
to form an isotope up to Ni-62 with loss of mass along the way. It will be interesting to see what the isotopic analysis of Parkhomov's ash is. It is
being evaluated currently.  We may see some Si-28 coming from Al-27
transmutation via the short-lived Al-28 isotope.

Also, in thinking about the geometrical stability of the Li-7 and the lack
of the stability of Li-6. I assume you envision a concentrated point charge
associated with the protons with respect to the geometry.

I for one do not think there is a segregation of charge within the nucleus,
but that the charge is spread  throughout the nucleus so as to eliminate
discontinuities at a 0 distance. Thus, variation in charge density within a
nucleus is nil. However the charge density shape can be modified by the
approach of other charges or electric or magnetic fields.  That is what
happens when Li-6 is hit with a gamma which causes it to breakup or activate
to a higher energy state--an isomer with an unstable charge density
configuration.

Bob

----- Original Message ----- From: Jones Beene <mailto:jone...@pacbell.net>
The following is overly simplistic, but also surprisingly intuitive for a
particular hypothesis, so it is worth the effort to try to get down an
explanation for the Rossi/Parkhomov effect ... one containing less than a
thousand words, by using a few images...
Here is an image of the Li-7 nucleus. Keep in mind the single tenet that
like-charges repel. In a small nucleus, and ignoring QM for a moment in
favor of macro geometrical restraints this means that nesting of nucleons
becomes complicated... since in the case of 3 protons, they must be kept
apart by neutrons.
http://www.lnhatom.com/Lithium%207.jpg
To oversimplify the point which will be made below: the red balls are the 3
protons, and they do not touch each other because the 4 neutrons form a
tetrahedron which effectively separates them, and a tetrahedron is an
especially stable geometry. Therefore, this isotope should be more stable
than one where like charges have the possibility of fleeting contact. In
fact, almost 93% of natural lithium is this particular isotope: Li7 despite
this isotope being a drip line anomaly in itself.
That stable tetrahedral nesting arrangement at the core of Li7 is not the
case with lithium-6 however; and this nucleus becomes unstable, particularly when stressed by incursion of positive charge (such as by the approach of a proton). That is because the only stable geometry which we can visualize for
Li6 is to have a near-planar hexagonal arrangement of alternating neutrons
and protons, arranged somewhat like a benzene ring, which is not spherical
and not stable wrt the strong force:
https://dlnmh9ip6v2uc.cloudfront.net/assets/0/4/e/8/2/519fa09dce395f8b080000
00.png
Therefore, a planar structure like the one above, when it is located inside
orbiting electrons is itself unstable, and the natural charge-equalizing
tendency is for the hexagonal plane to revert to something more compact,
like a sphere. Therefore on occasion, and as several papers are now
suggesting, the lithium-6 nucleus temporarily takes the form of 3 deuterons,
arranged in the X,Y & Z axes where the neutrons of each deuteron are in
contact. This is where Efimov state comes into play.
Now the visual image of greatest impact is to imagine the 3 deuterons
expressing the Efimov "Halo Effect," which is state of oscillating balance
and "Russian nesting dolls" geometry as predicted by Efimov. This state
should function like a pump, among other possibilities.  But a pump for
what?
For those who suspect that the Dirac sea, as expressed in Don Hotson's many papers, is accessible as a point source, then one suggestion is that the Li6 nucleus can act like a pump for "something" which is intrinsic to the Dirac sea... and since epos are ruled out by the lack of observed radiation, then that something is most likely "spin", or a subset like angular momentum, or
a quantum of spin: a Dirac spinor, or something along those lines.
Thus the Li6 nucleus would be the a gateway for spin energy coupling -
especially at a temperature where the 3-deuteron geometry is favored. This
temperature seems to be in the range of 1400K in the dogbone.
This hypothesis suggests that the key to the excess heat in dogbone-type
devices is lithium-6. The thermal anomaly will be maximized by enrichment in
the isotope, and should go away with all Li7.
Thus, this hypothesis, despite being complicated in detail - is easily
falsifiable, unlike most of the other explanations floating around, which
generally fail due to the lack of observable high energy radiation.