When I worked for a large corporation, I spent a lot of time with their
internal patent system.  A core criteria for deciding which invention
disclosures to pursue as a patent had to do with the detect-ability of an
infringement.  Basically, if you couldn't detect that a competitor was
using your patent, it was not worthwhile to patent it.

Enforce-ability comes down to civil lawsuit.  Courts award 1x damages for
unknowing/accidental infringement and 3x damages for knowing/intentional
infringement.  But, it is an expensive process to litigate and the rewards
of a positive outcome of the litigation must exceed the high cost of
litigation by 1/risk.  Most patent infringements don't get pursued for lack
of sufficient return on the high cost of litigation.  Those infringements
that do get pursued usually end in settling out of court in a licensing
arrangement.

In Rossi's case, he hasn't delivered a product that could be evaluated for
patent violation yet.  So, Piantelli would not be able to build a case
against Rossi until he releases a publicly available product that could be
tested for violation.  Normally, in important industries, you build patent
portfolios to protect yourself against other company's portfolios - trading
cross-licensing to keep yourself from being litigated.  Rossi needs his own
patent portfolio.

Bob Higgins