From: Lennart Thornros [mailto:lenn...@thornros.com]
Sent: Monday, July 20, 2015 10:28 AM
To: vortex-l@eskimo.com
Subject: Re: [Vo]:OT: Patent question

Forget about patents.

They are as obsolete as the pony-express.

I have been involved on both sides. The winner is always the one with better
financial support. In a few cases persistence has paid off.

As an example a company has requested a patent for push button making two
separate events start independently of each other. It should have been denied
as just basic engineering. However, making claims of using special materials
probably fooled the examiner at USPTO. I was sued for infringement. It cost
$50,000 just to show it was invalid. Yes, I understand that one could have read
the patent application and protested so the patent never  became a reality, if
one has the time to read all new applications. The only guys who won was the
attorneys. They probably collected a couple of hundred thousand dollars. The
patent still is valid. I could not afford to invalidate it. It was enough to
just get out of the lawsuit. Hoyt I think your example is good enough to show
the opposite situation. I assume AR has better financial backing than
Piantelli. Then the outcome is given and you now who will benefit.

Trade secrets are way better protection than patent and they are cheaper

Best Regards ,
Lennart Thornros

www.StrategicLeadershipSac.com

lenn...@thornros.com
+1 916 436 1899

202 Granite Park Court, Lincoln CA 95648

“Productivity is never an accident. It is always the result of a commitment to
excellence, intelligent planning, and focused effort.” PJM

On Mon, Jul 20, 2015 at 6:45 AM, Hoyt A. Stearns Jr. <hoyt-stea...@cox.net>