Martin Luther King Jr.'s final advice, before he was assassinated, was to
follow Henry George's advice to attack poverty directly with a citizen's
dividend.  They shot MLK because he proposed a race-neutral approach to
"souther poverty" and if there is one thing the Souther Poverty Law Center
cannot abide, it is something that would reduce their race-baiting
fear-mongering with which they extort money from wealthy Jews that fear
US-based neo-Nazi holocaust.

A deal was cut with guys like Jesse Jackson and the SPLC to keep the
emphasis on racial preferences under affirmative action rather than a
citizen's dividend so they could continue to pound on working class
southern whites as the scapegoats for social ills.  Gilder is basically
just keeping up the "conservative" side of that false dilemma by promoting
socialization of the cost of protecting property rights so the rich get
richer.