The problem with Holmlid’s work is that he uses an extremely small amount of
reactant – trillions of times less than in a Rossi reactor. This tiny scale
makes it very difficult to extrapolate what he is doing to a larger size.

Holmlid’s work looks like a miniature NOVA/NIF hot fusion device (Livermore
Lab) more than it resembles LENR.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nova_%28laser%29

…since the input and output are hot, and only the target is cold (which is the
same general situation at LLNL).

I have no problem with calling Holmlid’s work LENR if - when it is scaled-up,
the radiation level does not also scale-up to the toxic level – which it
arguably would with massively more 13 MeV “particles” – whatever they are.

The one and only defining characteristic for LENR - should be this: gain above
chemical levels, with acceptably low ionizing radiation. No one cares about the
power input being a laser, or a SPP chip, nor whether the reactor is glowing,
so long as it is safe.

From: Axil Axil

I will reread Leif Holmlid muon paper again with your comments in mind to see
if there is any observations that shed light on your posits.

Jones Beene wrote:

Axil,

I may have missed it, but how do you account for the short lifetime of the muon
and why is that signature not showing up?

The muon is unstable with a lifetime of 2.2 microseconds (2.197×10^−6 sec) and
since they have a mass much larger than an electron, but decay to an electron
and neutrino, the decay is energetic. If lots of them were being produced, then
there should be a primary and secondary radiation signature – bremsstrahlung -
from the thermalization of decay electrons. This signature is known, and if
seen would validate your hypothesis.

From: Axil Axil

Posts combined revised and extended as follows:

The appearance of muons in the LENR reaction are explained by SPP theory.

Regarding:
http://scitation.aip.org/content/aip/journal/rsi/86/8/10.1063/1.4928109

Muon detection studied by pulse-height energy analysis: Novel converter