>From Cook,

> As Jones pointed out—they should have and should now “think small and modular
> “.

Several years ago I recall reading a Kiplinger Forecast that stated there are
smaller modular oriented nuclear power designs in the works. I seem to recall
Toshiba may be one of the principal participants. See:

http://www.toshiba.com/tane/

I think one of the on-going plans was to retrofit and update designs originally
configured to power nuclear submarines. Apparently the assumption was that
there would be profits to be made constructing smaller modular nuclear power
plants for locations in remote areas of the planet. As an example, I think they
stated a modular plant based up in remote parts of Canada located near the huge
tar oil sands would be put to use in liquefying the crude oil. I gather the
assumption was that using a small modular nuclear plant to generate sufficient
amounts of heat would be cheaper and perhaps more environmentally friendly as
compared to burning a lot of oil to generate the necessary heat. As I
understand the situation, the process burns up a lot of oil in order to get the
tar sufficiently liquefied for transport. I think one of the biggest
complaints, besides the fact that the tar is filled with loads of impurities (a
matter Al Gore incessantly harped about), is the obvious fact that the process
belches out a huge amount of CO2 into the atmosphere.

I wonder how these modular designs are proceeding. I wonder if they are still
considered economically viable in remote areas. At first glance, it does seem
to be a sensible alternative.

Regards,

Steven Vincent Johnson

OrionWorks.com