From: Jed Rothwell <jedrothw...@gmail.com>
To: vortex-l <vortex-l@eskimo.com>
Sent: Fri, Sep 25, 2015 5:10 pm
Subject: Re: [Vo]:Brief explanation of Volkswagen scandal technical details

Lennart Thornros <lenn...@thornros.com> wrote:

However, one cannot make laws / rules that are violating what is practical if
one is not prepared to pay the price.

The people who draft these rules are industry experts, recruited from the
leading companies. In the U.S., regulatory agencies never pass rules that have
not be vetted by industry experts, and recommended by them. That is not to
suggest that regulators are always captives of the industries they regulate,
although in some cases they are! I am saying that regulations are always passed
with cooperation and advance knowledge of the corporations being regulated.
They reflect the best practices of responsible companies.

In many cases, the corporations themselves ask for and pay for the regulations.
In the past this was sometimes done to prevent competition by making it hard
for new companies to enter the field, in a subtle but effective violation of
anti-trust laws. That happens less often today.

If the government were to try to force through regulations without industry
consent, there would be a hue and cry.

One of the purposes of regulations is to keep dishonest people from taking over
an industry sector. For example, if food inspections are reduced you can be
sure more vendors will sell peanuts tainted by salmonella. Stewart Parnell was
sentenced to 28 years in prison for doing this. Responsible peanut suppliers do
not want thousands of consumers poisoned and killed by salmonella because they
know that people will stop buying peanuts if that happens. Criminals such as
Parnell don't care how many people they kill. It is not enough to have general
laws against poisoning people. You must have to have inspections and standards
with a host of specifics about peanuts.

Maybe this problem is only related to diesel motors but if not I can almost
guarantee that other manufacturers have similar systems in place.

I think the chances of that are zero to none. The other automobile companies
are probably not run by blithering idiots who do things that will destroy the
company. I expect experts are checking to be sure though.