So, if the problem was the software, why they didn't fix it?

    Mark Jordan

On 25-Sep-15 16:29, Jed Rothwell wrote:
This is somewhat off-topic but . . .

I have had trouble understanding the news reports about the Volkswagen scandal. I have not found a clear technical description of what happened. I think the reporters do not understand.

The gist of it is that when someone plugs a computer into the automobile onboard computer, something changes. Press reports seem to indicate that either the actual performance changes, or that the onboard computer begins to generate fake data. It turns out to be the former. When you disengage from the onboard computer, NOx emissions increase to a level ~40 times above US allowed standards. Furthermore, fixing this problem will probably degrade the performance or fuel efficiency of the car.

Here is a short but clear explanation:

http://www.businessinsider.com/volkswagens-cheating-engines-cant-be-easily-fixed-2015-9

Zoom into the graphic box, "how Volkswagens defeat device works."

The article says they are thinking of installing a Urea injection system to fix the problem. Piss on it, in other words. Bringing to mind the saying, "If you was on fire I wouldn't bother to . . ."

The people at Volkswagen were unbelievably stupid thinking they could get away with this indefinitely.