ICP-MS does digest the entire "sample", but the sample used is typically
1-2 small 100 micron scale particles - not the entire ash or grams of it.
So, in the Lugano report on page 45 where they show Particle1 and Particle2
of the ash and the accompanying EDS, it is likely that they only digested
Particle1 - the Ni rich particle - or another particle like it.  EDS would
only have looked at the top micron of the particles, but by digestion in
acid, the average composition of the entire particle is tested.  Digestion
is target specific too.  For example, if it was known that they were going
to do platinum isotopic analysis as well, the platinum would not have
dissolved (digested) into the same acid as the Ni.

Based on previous experiments with this material taken to 1000+C, the
resulting ash is a sparsely sintered material that is not easy to remove
from the reactor without cracking it open.  Even if the added 62Ni had been
granular before the dummy runs, it certainly would not have been granular
after the dummy run.

In the Glowstick designs, both ends are easy to open and the ash can be
simply rodded out.  In the Lugano hotCat, the reactor tube was closed at
one end with a glued cap before the reactor was provided and after the fuel
was added a cap was glued to the other end.  Because one end was closed in
the beginning, it may have been difficult to determine if the reactor tube
was empty before the "fuel" powder was added - it was only a 4mm bore tube
200mm long.  At the end of the 32 days, one end cap was broken to remove
the ash.  The ash would have been difficult to remove from just one end,
and it is not clear what percentage of the ash was withdrawn from the
reactor.  While it was said that ~1g of fuel powder was added, no mention
was made of how much ash was removed.  It would have been suspicious if
1.5g of ash came out.  No picture was shown of the ash as it was removed,
nor was any mention made of its amount.

Again, this pre-loading of 62Ni is just a scenario we cannot rule out on
the basis of the Lugano report.  Failing to answer questions about the
possibility that the reactor tube was not empty when the "fuel" powder was
poured in, completely leaves this possibility open.  The recent Parkhomov
presentation shows no movement in the isotopic composition of the Ni in his
experiments, those of MFMP's Alan Goldwater, and in Songsheng Jiang's
experiment.  This lack of Ni isotopic shift in the other experiments is
suspicious when compared to the nearly compete and unexpected Ni isotopic
shift in the reported results of the Lugano experiment.

I don't consider this to be subterfuge on Rossi's behalf.  I don't think he
ever agreed to full open access to everything from his design.  I thought
it was amazing that the Lugano experimenters had access to any of his fuel
or ash given his patent status.  Though in retrospect, it appears that the
Lugano test was part of a ploy to help get his patent applications
seriously considered and one of his applications reads like it was taken
directly from the Lugano report text.

Based on this, I cannot consider differential isotopic analysis from fuel
to ash in the Lugano experiment to have any credibility.  It is valuable
analysis for at least a part of the fuel (it gave us the LAH).  It is not
clear at all what conclusions can be drawn from the analysis of the ash.
Perhaps the isotopic change in the Li could be real as isotopic shifts of
Li were seen in Parkhomov's experiment and that of Jiang - but they went in
opposite directions and were too small to draw a conclusion.