On Wed, Oct 14, 2015 at 4:55 PM, Bob Higgins <rj.bob.higg...@gmail.com>
wrote:

This is NOT a measured ENERGY.  If he also measured the energy, then he
> could have solved for the particle mass and would have had a much easier
> time identifying the particle.  IF - you PRESUME that the particle is a
> muon, then the energy of the muon would have been 1.4 MeV.

I didn't read that carefully.  Thank you for the clarification.  My
assumption is that they are definitely not muons. ;)  (Note that there are
1e13 of these things per laser pulse, whatever they are -- quite a few.)

Needless to say, if the particles end up being resolved to baryons, we're
dealing with energies that correspond to nuclear reactions.  Another
possibility, of course, is a bad experimental procedure that is not
revealing a piece of equipment that is on the fritz.

Eric