I will freely confess that I don’t know what system or arrangement will make
any difference. I have some hope that a hybrid system such as China or Russia
might produce results that cannot be obtained in ‘free market’ nations such as
the US.  There was a recent Nobel prize given for a malaria treatment based on
research of traditional Chinese medicine. The lady responsible took seriously a
command from Chairman Mao to find a cure and she stuck with it.  I used to
appreciate libertarian ideas but with our government up for sale, that doesn’t
look too promising.