From: Eric Walker
Sent: Monday, December 28, 2015 2:39 PM
To: vortex-l@eskimo.com
Subject: Re: [Vo]:Whopper of the Week

On Mon, Dec 28, 2015 at 4:20 PM, Bob Higgins <rj.bob.higg...@gmail.com> wrote:

  Piantelli's measurement of the Ni-H reaction shows prompt charged high energy
protons.

Indeed.  As well as "heavy particles" (my vote: alphas) [1].

In saying that little in the way of prompt charged particles has been observed
I am close to parroting the teaching that charged particles are not
commensurate with excess heat. David Nagel wrote the following, which is
interesting to consider:

  Temporal and quantitative correlations between excess heat and both fast
particles and photons have been sought in a few cases. Such experiments are
challenging. First, there has to be production of excess power, which is not
always possible to achieve. Even when there is excess power production, it is
commonly unsteady as a function of time. Good equipment for measurement of
energetic particles is relatively expensive and not widely available. It is
well known that the number of fast neutrons or charged particles emitted from
LENR experiments is generally small. [2]

So the experiments are challenging and require expensive equipment.  The last
point about neutrons is easy to agree with; harder so with charged particles.

There are people who will argue vociferously that prompt charged particles are
not part of the main process or processes in LENR.  I suppose there are always
a few people who will argue one or another position vociferously.  Such people
are entitled to their opinion.  I myself find this avenue of investigation very
interesting. I have many questions:  how sure are we about the limits on prompt
charged particles?  Has an easy generalization been allowed to slip through
without a proper investigation?  (If so, this would not be the first time.)  In
those experiments that have been done, in which was there a lot of excess heat?
 What about the so-called "hamburger" tracks seen in some of the CR-39
experiments?  Etc.

Eric

[1] https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B6id5Hf-xMWOYXVjekJCN1ZkQk0/view, slide 30.
[2] http://www.infinite-energy.com/images/pdfs/Nagel118.pdf