On Sat, Feb 20, 2016 at 3:58 PM, Eric Walker <eric.wal...@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Sat, Feb 20, 2016 at 1:30 PM, H LV <hveeder...@gmail.com> wrote:
>

>>  In my question I said if you only had an LED. That implies a resistor is
>> not available.
>>

> One thought is to surround the LED by a material that emits a blackbody
> spectrum. That 10 W that goes to light the LED will be perfectly converted
> to the blackbody spectrum.

​​I thought of painting the LED black  which is a crude way of altering the
spectrum.

> There's a remaining ambiguity about what "heat" means. It's often used
> synonymously with "energy." But energy can be radiated or transmitted with
> a nonthermal spectrum, while one expects heat to have a thermal spectrum.

​There might be more sophisticated ways of altering the spectrum through
the application of magnetic fields and/or by varying the electrical input.
Maybe the ambient temperature could have an effect as well.

Harry​