Hi Matt,

The general expectation among Rossi supporters is that he is going to
supply the world with a super fuel. Among his detractors the general
expectation is that he is engaged in fraud. However,
​I take ​
Rossi
​'s ambiguous remarks as​
 hint
 to his supporters that
​ ​their
 expectations
​ need an adjustment​
​​
. With this in mind, I think the expectations which inform research into
"cold fusion" phenomena also need
​ an adjustment​
.

In broad terms, there are three domains of energy research: Energy
production, energy storage and energy conversion.
The view of the nucleus as a super fuel places it in the research domain of
energy production. This view underwrites the claims of "excess heat" every
time an anomalous heat effect occurs. Every claim of "excess heat" is a
claim of energy gain, but it is assumed that the energy used during the
​_​
preparation
​_
 of the experiment is irrelevant to the claim of energy gain. However, I
think the preoccupation with "excess heat" has been blinding us to the true
significance of the anomalies. The anomalies point to new forms of energy
storage and conversion instead of a new form of energy production.

​Furthermore,​ if
 the overriding aim of all nuclear
​energy ​
research is to give humanity a super fuel then the values of the fossil
fuel age will just continue under a different name with a different set of
environmentally unsustainable practices. In order to let go of the fossil
fuel age a new energy role for the very small
​needs to be imagined ​
that doesn't involve energy production.

(This critique applies to all the variants of the hydrino hypothesis as
well.)

Harry

http://www.zeplerinstitute.ac.uk/sites/www.zeplerinstitute.ac.uk/files/yablonovitch_lecture_poster_web_0.pdf

> "Thus the effort to reflect band-edge luminescence in solar cells has
> serendipitously created the technology to reflect all infrared
wavelengths,
> which can revolutionize thermo-photovoltaics. We have never before had
such
> high rear reflectivity for sub-bandgap radiation, permitting step-function
> spectral control of the unused infrared photons for the first time. This
> enables conversion from heat[iii] to electricity with >50% efficiency.
Such