From: Bob Higgins [mailto:rj.bob.higg...@gmail.com]
Sent: Wednesday, February 24, 2016 9:45 AM
To: vortex-l@eskimo.com
Subject: Re: [Vo]:Big surprise or big dud ?

One of the researchers that I discussed this with suggested that the spectrum
looked like a blackbody radiation.  I did some analysis and can tell you that
it does NOT look like blackbody radiation.  Blackbody radiation cuts off very
sharply on the high energy side.  At 100 million degrees, there would be some
energy at 100keV, but by the time it got to 1MeV, the blackbody radiation would
have declined by 40 orders of magnitude.  That is not what is seen here.

It is really hard to explain a continuous spectrum that looks like it probably
spans at least 2 orders of magnitude in photon energy with maximum energies
over 1MeV.  The best explanations so far (and there has not been a chance for
widespread vetting) are that it is due to:  1) Bremsstrahlung from really high
energy light charged particles [electrons, positrons] with a distribution of
energy, or 2) interference in the NaI detector by a flux of neutral particles
causing the apparent spectrum by activation of the Na, I, and Th in the
detector crystal.

Thank you for the links.  I will have a look these papers.

On Wed, Feb 24, 2016 at 10:29 AM, Daniel Rocha <danieldi...@gmail.com