I think at least an equal concern to radiation exposure is the incidental
exposure to vented nickel tetracarbonyl vapor.  I believe this can cause
pulmonary distress at quite low concentrations.  The tolerance for nickel
tetracarbonyl may be quite low.  The nickel tetracarbonyl can come from
heating nickel with oxidized powders with something containing carbon.  The
carbon becomes CO and reacts with the nickel forming nickel tetracarbonyl -
known in the industry as "liquid death".