Way back in the 1990-94 period I had a number of words with Douglas
Morrison of CERN, Frack Close (Too Hot to Handle), Richard (Dick) Blue (Oak
ridge).   You can find some of the old discussions in google groups; search
'sci.physics.fusion chuck sites morrison' for a nice heated exchange
between Morrison and I.   Of course Jed, and Michael Swartz also are there
in that period of time, and can be found the same way.    It's kind of fun.
I even see something called, "The Russ George Experiment" in
sci.physics.fusion circa 2000.   Anyway, those were some of the early ones
I recall.