Jed,
You write.  "I know how the people at I.H. do it,"
How do you know that?  Have you visited them and seen them do it?

I doubt anyone who writes about this story knows the players better than Mats Lewan. I judge him technically competent. He is cautious but has been persuaded that the the E-Cat works. I recall that having doubts about the experimental set up he said the fact the the E-Cat went on boiling, something he felt by putting hand on it, for more than an hour after the power was turned off, was what persuaded him more than the instrument readings.

I get the feeling Rossi simply doesn't care about making a foolproof demo. It would be fairly easy to do if the wanted to. It seems he just shows something good enough to persuade the investors, otherwise there is no advantage to him and it would just encourage competition. He seems to be betting all in now and either will be making and selling operating units in the next few months or the E-Cat doesn't work. For him to carry on if it doesn't work makes no sense at all. He could have walked away with enough money for life several years ago if he had wanted to.