Daniel Rocha <danieldi...@gmail.com> wrote:

Any process has waste. So, for example, if the input is 1W and the output
> is 0.9W it doesn't mean there wasn't CF. The yield could be like 1mW and
> the remaining 0.099 wasted in other means.

With a laboratory calorimeter, you calibrate extensively to measure losses.
You establish the "recovery rate" is, say, 95%. So if you input 1 W and
there was no excess heat, you would measure ~950 mW of heat coming out. I
would conservatively assume the noise is +/- 50 mW for a typical
water-based calorimeter, especially at low power.

You could not be reasonably confident there is actual excess heat until you
measure ~100 mW excess; that is, 1.000 W in, 1.050 output. I wouldn't
believe that myself. I would hold out for ~1.100 W.

>  1mW is a big deal.

1 mW is far too small to measure with most conventional water-based
calorimeters. Martin Fleischmann could do that, but no one else could.

There are microcalorimeters that can measure micro-watts or even
pico-watts. They do not work well with cold fusion. A few experimenters
have used them.