To cut to the chase ... Rossi's claim for supplying a massive amount of steam to a customer in an adjoining space (which no one from IH was allowed to visit) could be instantly validated if there was indeed a real customer using the steam.

If there was no customer, and the steam was not being used for a real manufacturing process, then we have fraud - no matter how much reputed steam was being supplied.

This is the issue of fact to be determined by a jury, or by the judge if Rossi cannot present a prima facie case that there really was a real customer using steam to manufacture a product. It's really pretty simple, no?

Was there a customer using the steam or not?

Legal definition of Fraud - A false representation of a matter of fact—whether by words or by conduct, by false or misleading allegations, or by concealment of what should have been disclosed—that deceives and is intended to deceive another so that the individual will act upon it to her or his legal injury.

Brian Ahern wrote:
Yesterday I corrected the Rossi calculations. I failed to note the water was above 100C with no pressure to keep it in the liquid phase. The metering device cannot function with a compressible fluid. It will always measure higher values than measuring it as a single liquid phase at the input.

Measuring the flow beyond the heating stage is OK if the output temperature is below 100C. Allowing the temperature to exceed 100C is a surfire way to get inflated flow measurements.

Rossi was warned about involving two phase fluid flow. He did it anyway because it is so easy the provide inflated values.

I agree with Jed that this was the most ambiguous method possible. Use the minimum power to get to 103 C and have your flow meters operate in a two phase mode that is guaranteed to over report flow rates due to the increased compressibility.

Once again he selected the most ambiguous method .