Barium ferrite is a topological insulator. Unlike other types of magnets,
Barium ferrite does not conduct electricity.  It also has a characteristic
 known as perpendicular magnetic anisotropy (PMA). This situation
originates from the inherent magneto-crystalline anisotropy of the
insulator and not the interfacial anisotropy in other situations.  As a
Mott insulator, it possesses strong spin orbit coupling. This
characteristic produces a log jam of electrons that stops current from
flowing.

See for details,

https://phys.org/news/2017-02-reveals-quantum-state-strange-insulating.html

Research reveals novel quantum state in strange insulating materialsFebruary
9, 2017

As a Mott insulator, Barium ferrite also has another characteristic
called linear
magnetoresistance (LMR). The origin of the LMR in this case is likely
related to small density variations throughout the solid which cannot be
avoided in conventional material growth techniques. This leads to a
contribution of a linear Hall resistance caused by the Lorentz force
in a magnetic
field <https://phys.org/tags/magnetic+field/> on a moving electron on the
measured magnetoresistance.

Read more at:
https://phys.org/news/2016-12-linear-magnetoresistanceexotic-classical.html#jCp

The origin of linear magnetoresistance—exotic or classical?

IMHO, the differences in the two types of magnetic materials used in the
Sweet system and the Manelas system make operating quantum mechanical
mechanisms of these two systems different.

Finally, a magnetizing coil wrapped around the edge of the magnetic billet
will produce a field where the edges of the billet demonstrates a south
pole. This is because the field lines nearest the magnetizing coil are the
strongest and a north pole bubble in the middle where the magnetic field
lines are the weakest.

A huge amount of work must be done to understand how these types of *Vacuum
Triode Amplifier *systems work.  But the prospect of understanding how the
reported trust production characteristics work like what occurs in the
EDDrive system might make the investment in all that work worthwhile.

Finally, unlike LENR, the lack of subatomic particle production is also a
selling feature of these systems well worth the work to understand.