On Thu, Feb 1, 2018 at 10:02 PM, <mix...@bigpond.com> wrote:

It's worse than that - nothing ever even gets to cross the event horizon
> from
> our point of view (because time slows to the point where the universe
> comes to
> an end before anything actually gets to the event horizon.)
> (Which BTW is what originally led me to the notion that there is nothing
> in a
> black hole.)

You might be right about there being drama at the event horizon, but there
are other possibilities [1]:

The paradox [of an inconsistency mentioned earlier in the article] itself
> arises due to Hawking radiation, which demonstrates that matter can be
> emitted from a black hole, but initially it appeared that no information
> about the matter that once fell into the black hole is carried away. In
> 2012, a group of physicists studying this paradox found that three basic
> assumptions involved in this paradox cannot all be consistent.

Namely, principles of unitarity and local quantum field theory contradicted
> the assumption of "no-drama"—meaning that nothing unusual should happen
> when an object falls through the event horizon. Instead, they proposed that
> the most conservative solution to this contradiction is that there would
> indeed be "drama" at the surface of the black hole in the form of a
> "firewall" that would destroy an infalling object. This seems rather
> surprising, because the curvature is negligibly small at the event horizon
> of a sufficiently large black hole, where general relativity should hold
> and one would expect nothing special when crossing the horizon.

The conservative proposal mentioned by these theorists that there might be
drama at the surface (event horizon?) of the black hole is in
contradistinction to a "no drama" view in which objects merely cross over
the point of no return, but otherwise nothing particularly interesting
happens.  I.e., it is not certain that there is drama at the event
horizon.  But even if there is a firewall that destroys everything
approaching it, it might need to lie *beyond* event horizon in order not to
have observable effects:

"If a firewall exists, not only would an infalling object be destroyed by
> it, but the destruction could be visible, even from the outside," says
> Misao Sasaki, a contributor from Kyoto University.

So your counterargument against the possibility of the electron and
positron annihilating on the other side of the event horizon is merely
suggestive but not conclusive.

Eric

[1] https://phys.org/news/2016-04-hot-problem-black-hole-firewalls.html