Hi Robin,

On Fri, Feb 2, 2018 at 2:12 PM, <mix...@bigpond.com> wrote:

> Hi,
> [snip]
>
> This thread is beginning to resemble "How many angels can dance on the
> head of a
> pin?". :)

My apologies for being argumentative. :)  You attempted to rule out the
electron-positron thought experiment on the basis of a claim about the
event horizon that has the status of a conjecture.  I will acknowledge that
black holes are not very friendly things to reason about in the context of
a thought experiment, and so it is not that insightful.

> E.g. It makes no difference whether or not there is drama at the event
> horizon,
> we won't detect it either way.
> 1) It wouldn't happen till infinitely far in our future.

I think we've established that this is one of several possibilities. :)

> 2) Any resultant energy would be red shifted back to nothing leaving the
> gravity
> well anyway. (Thus also reducing the information transport rate to zero in
> the
> process.)

To return to gist of the thought experiment:  it seems to me that there's
something funny about a black hole consuming an electron and a positron,
gaining in the process an additional 1.022 MeV of mass-energy and thereby
exerting additional gravitational pull on its surroundings, and then losing
1.022 MeV at a later point in (our) time should the two collide (according
to one school of thought about black holes), exerting afterwards less
gravitational pull on its surroundings, when nothing has escaped the black
box of the system.

I will concede that this thought experiment will not be very interesting
for someone who believes that matter does not make it beyond the event
horizon. :)

Eric