Hi John, and thank you so much for taking an interest!

The input energy to the motors is being logged in terms of torque vs
angle.  This integral has also been checked against torque * angular vel *
time - not shown in the sims to reduce clutter, but both metric produce an
identical flat trace..

...in other words, the 'torque' component in both metrics is registering as
'zero'.

Under all other circumstances, motor torque * angle produces a perfect
integral, from which any interaction can be solved to unity.

So, why in this case is it calculating no net torque?

The only possibility is that there is another, identical torque, of equal
sign and magnitude...

..and THERE IS!  It's an 'inertial torque', caused by conservation of
angular momentum, in response to the halving of the orbital MoI!
Activating the motors causes the orbital MoI to converge to the net
orbiting mass focused at the radius of the orbiting motor axes.  Thus
orbital MoI suddenly flips from a value of 16 kg-m², down to just 8 kg-m².
Since angular momentum is MoI * RPM, the latter instantly doubles to
conserve their product.

Net AM never wavers throughout - doesn't so much as blip when the MoI
changes.  All 16 kg-m²-rad/s remains conserved, as it must be.  And that
amount of momentum, manifested in 8 kg-m² of MoI, can only exist at
precisely 2 rad/s, whereupon it has a rotKE=½Iw² value of precisely 16 J -
and can have no more or less.

So we end up with precisely the right amount of KE, for the given conserved
momentum, and its change in MoI.  No more or less KE can exist at that
particular momentum distribution.  The energy gain was thus caused by CoAM!

Thus if the motors had somehow commuted some other form of energy that
somehow slipped past the torque & angle plot... where is it?   Surely it
would have to be surplus to the 16 J of the conserved 16 kg-m²-rad/s
momentum at 8 kg-m² * 2 rad/s?

Yet there is only just ENOUGH energy - precisely the right amount - for
that momentum configuration...

Mate, i bat down OU claims in my sleep.  If i'm bringing this here, to
share with others, it's because i've been unable to crack it..  I'm
fallible (very, very fallible), so the de facto conclusion has to remain
error until someone else validates.. at that point it's TWO crazy folks,
rather than just muggins 'ere.  Still only two crazy folks tho...

..cracking OU is only half the battle... communicating the news to anyone
else capable of following it is the tricky part..  most people so able
wouldn't waste a synapse trying (and quite rightly so), hence 'catch 22'..