http://www.freerepublic.com/focus/f-chat/2435697/posts

How I Made Money from Cold Fusion
Exclusive Article for Free Republic | 1/23/10 | Kevmo
Posted on 1/23/2010, 12:28:49 PM by Kevmo

Freeper gets a fascinating contract listed on Intrade, bets that the
experiment will be replicated, and cashes in.

In 2008, Dr. Yoshiaki Arata performed a fascinating experiment with
Deuterium Gas loaded onto a Palladium matrix, and without any input
power, showed that there was some excess heat. Generating excess heat
in cold fusion cell wasn't a new development -- scientists had been
replicating the Pons-Fleischman effect for 2 decades. What was a new
development was how easily replicable this particular experiment was.
It seemed to me that this would be the easiest way to replicate
anomalous heat production, removing the tired old standby excuse that
the energy input from electrolysis was causing this excess heat,
because there was NO energy input in this experiment. So I proposed to
Intrade that they open up a contract that this experiment would be
replicated in a peer reviewed, scientific Journal.

I also posted a discussion thread on the Intrade forum
http://bb.intrade.com/intradeForum/posts/list/2239.page

"This week, Dr. Yoshiaki Arata demonstrated Cold Fusion in a
reproducible environment. I sent in a suggestion to intrade that a
contract be opened up that it would be replicated in a peer-reviewed
journal by January 1, 2009. I haven't heard yet if there's any
interest."
AZoNano.com Energy Breakthrough as Japanese Physicist Sucessfully and ...
http://www.azonano.com/news.asp?newsID=6472

To my surprise, Intrade opened up this contract in 2008, where it
basically stagnated. Since I was not involved in the peer review
process, my assessment was that the experiment would only take several
weeks to make it through the grueling process, rather than several
months. It was actually someone at Free Republic who set me straight
on that:
http://www.freerepublic.com/focus/news/2022063/posts?page=164#164

The contract closed at the end of 2008 at zero, meaning that anyone
who bet that the experiment would be replicated and published had lost
their bet.

I found the contract fascinating and asked Intrade to open a new
contract in 2009, which they did. A few months into 2009, there
started to be some replication experiments published by scientists,
but the whole process was outshined by Dr. Pamela Mossier-Boss
publishing her exciting results where she showed that there were
Neutrons being generated in the cold fusion cell at the Navy Space
Warfare Systems Center (SPAWAR).

'Cold Fusion' Rebirth? New Evidence For Existence Of Controversial
Energy Source
http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2009/03/090323110450.htm
ScienceDaily (Mar. 23, 2009) — [Researchers are reporting compelling
new scientific evidence for the existence of low-energy nuclear
reactions (LENR), the process once called "cold fusion" that may
promise a new source of energy. One group of scientists, for instance,
describes what it terms the first clear visual evidence that LENR
devices can produce neutrons, subatomic particles that scientists view
as tell-tale signs that nuclear reactions are occurring. The report,
which injects new life into this controversial field, will be
presented March 23 in Salt Lake City, Utah, at the American Chemical
Society's 237th National Meeting. "Our finding is very significant,"
says study co-author and analytical chemist Pamela Mosier-Boss, Ph.D.,
of the U.S. Navy's Space and Naval Warfare Systems Center (SPAWAR) in
San Diego, Calif. "To our knowledge, this is the first scientific
report of the production of highly energetic neutrons from an LENR
device."]

And then the CBS TV newsmagazine 60 Minutes chimed in with their
report on cold fusion on April 19, 2009, pushing the Arata replication
results further into the background. The video and an article
describing it are here:
http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2009/04/17/60minutes/main4952167.shtml

I started posting references to replication of Arata's experiment in
the Intrade Forum, saying such things as, "Oh, and the experiment was
a replication of Arata's demonstration last May. So it was in
quantitative fact proof that Arata's demonstration worked as stated. "
>From the PhysOrg article and discussion:
'Cold fusion' rebirth? New evidence for existence of controversial
energy source
http://www.physorg.com/news157046734.html

I transferred as much money as I was willing to lose over to Intrade.
This was harder that I thought it would be, because Intrade does not
accept credit cards. I bought up as many contracts as I could, and
posted that I would pay $5-$6 for a contract that would pay out at
$100. In reality, it's paying 50-60Cents per contract, and the payout
is $10, for some bizarre reasoning that Intrade uses 1/10th of the
actual monetary figures. To my surprise, there were still folks at
Intrade posting that I was "Mental" , or as BobbyE wrote: "I have
trouble getting reality shows listed early but this crap of a contract
gets listed? What was the total volume? Unreal." My response was:
"Feel free to make money from my foolishness. Those 500 contract bids
at $5.50 are mine. Put your money where your mouth is."

This was where I learned that there's a huge difference between what
people say and what they actually do at Intrade. For all the huffing
and puffing about this contract being a waste of time or effort or
stupid, they still wouldn't take my money. I was forced to raise my
price 5X to 7X what I originally asked before I could purchase
contracts. That's when I wrote this article here on Free Republic:

The End of Snide Remarks Against Cold Fusion
Friday, June 05, 2009 5:56:08 PM · by Kevmo · 95 replies · 2,126+ views
Free Republic, Gravitronics.net and Intrade ^ | 6/5/09 | kevmo, et al
http://www.freerepublic.com/focus/f-bloggers/2265914/posts

I ventured as much money on the contract as I was willing, with the
expectation that the price would shoot up at any moment. I was
surprised it didn't. I posted several articles showing that the
experiment had been replicated and that the results were showing up in
peer reviewed journals. But the price did not go up. There was one
physicist at Intrade who argued against my claim, saying that the
American Chemical Society wasn't a peer reviewed platform. The
experiment had been published in a "symposium", and then in a peer
reviewed book, which isn't a journal! I had to find other references
to the replication experiments being published in at least one
peer-reviewed journal and that the press had made mention of it. I
found a bunch of articles and posted them, and even the hot-particle
physicist know-it-all acknowledged that the experiment had been
replicated in a peer reviewed journal.

After the closeout date of the contract, Carl Wolfenden at Intrade had
to pick his way through all the articles and support information that
I generated and he decided that the terms of the contract had been met
and it was paid out at 100. It couldn't have been easy for Mr.
Wolfenden, because Intrade had at one time a physicist on staff but he
had gone on to greener pastures. That's probably why Intrade hasn't
yet posted the follow-on contract that I requested -- that Dr. Pamela
Mellier-Boss's CR-39 Triple Tracks Neutron detection experiment would
be replicated in a peer-reviewed PUBLICATION.

So now I tell my friends that I'm the first layman to make money on
Cold Fusion. Now I have even more trouble finding people who will take
my bet. I feel that Intrade has made history, in a way. There's a
parallel in scientific publication history, when Scientific American
refused to publish articles that the Wright Brothers were flying,
because it was supposedly impossible -- the greatest luminaries in
science at the time had tried and failed ignominiously, like Dr.
Langley at the Smithsonian. No one remembers who the genius was that
turned down the article in Scientific American, but A.I.Root has his
own unique place in history. So the lesson is that one puts forth his
sincere witness of the technology in progress and lets the chips fall
where they may.

Gleanings in Bee Culture, January 1, 1905
http://www.exhibits.mannlib.cornell.edu/beekeeping/atlantic/page4.html

This issue of the Medina, Ohio based beekeeping magazine has the
distinction of publishing the first eyewitness account of the Wright
Brothers' historic manned flight in Kitty Hawk, North Carolina. A. I.
Root, the publisher of Gleanings in Bee Culture and a longtime friend
of the flight pioneers, was permitted to write this first account and
sent it off to "Scientific American." After nearly a year of silence
on the part of the magazine, Root wrote its editor, who responded that
it was difficult to believe that the event had actually occurred and
that even if it had, the airplane would never have any practical
application. When Root showed this response to the Wright Brothers,
they suggested that he go ahead and publish it in his beekeeping
magazine.