JonesBeene <jone...@pacbell.net> wrote:

If palladium is being consumed then the economics are much less favorable –
> even when the correct price is used… <g>

Yes. That is what I said in the book, on p. 35:

https://lenr-canr.org/acrobat/RothwellJcoldfusiona.pdf

Consumed or transmuted in secondary reactions. If it is transmuted, I hope
there is a way to tweak the reaction to prevent that or minimize it.

It is possible that some other metal can be substituted for palladium. Ed
Storms thanks the palladium works because it expands at a different rate
than nickel when it absorbs deuterium. He thinks this creates nanoscale
cracks in the nickel, which is where the reaction occurs. Perhaps some
other metal has that quality.

(The different expansion rates of the two metals that are bound together
reminds me of the way a bimetallic thermometer works.)