The Chinese government reported that 1,700 health care workers have
contracted the virus, and 6 have died. That is a mortality rate of 0.4%. It
is about 4 times higher than ordinary flu. I think this is a reliable
estimate because they probably keep close track of health care workers, and
they probably give them the best treatment available. This is probably the
best estimate of mortality we have so far.

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/0…ia/china-coronavirus.html

Projecting that to the U.S.: in the U.S., ordinary influenza kills 12,000
to 61,000 per year, depending on how virulent it is. (How widespread it
becomes.) The Wuhan flu appears to be very virulent, based on what has
happened in Japan. So, a 0.4% mortality rate would kill approximately
61,000 * 4 = 244,000. But, you have to increase that by about 40%. In the
U.S., ~40% of adults get a flu shot, so they are nearly all immune. There
is no flu shot for Wuhan flu, so roughly 40% more people will get it.
That's another 98,000 deaths, around 342,000 total. That would be one of
the worst epidemics in U.S. history. In absolute numbers, it would be about
half the deaths of the Civil War, the worst war in U.S. history. It would
also be an economic and social disaster, as it already is in China.