magnetic burned match heads (also a homopolar motor next)
  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tOBmIyu7B30&t=262s

On Tue, 13 Apr 2021, Michael Foster wrote:

I have no idea why this subject continues to be controversial

Irrational semi-religious belief-systems are the obvious issue.

  "LENR is for fools, transmutation outside of conventional MeV
  reactions just demonstrates incompetence or dishonesty."

Once a researcher (or a whole academic department, or an entire research community) has spoken the above phrase, they cannot go back. Their skepticism is no longer skepticism. Their admitting error is no longer admitting error: if they turn out to be wrong, it requires confronting the fact that they've joined the "bad guys," and they've been actively halting progress in the sciences. (When careers are on the line, truth doesn't matter, and such a thing must be resisted at any cost ...on pain of public embarrassment, or career- destruction, or even on pain of death, because "If P&F turned out to be correct, then I'd have to go out and slit my own throat." )

slightest. There are any number of carbon arc configurations that produce
elemental transmutation of carbon to iron. I have done this repeatedly

  "Your carbon was obviously contaminated by iron!  Which became concen-
  trated by orders, as all the carbon exits the arc as CO2!!!"

Yeah right, so we don't even consider using ultra-pure spectrographic rods (which display no detectable Fe emission lines in the first place.) Instead we arc-transmute the far purer plasma-grown pyro graphite. But that doesn't matter, since 1) we'd just be accused of intentional hoaxes and 2) no reputable researcher would ever replicate this simple test, because if they demonstrated LENR, it would convert them into Believer- crackpots.

myself. The last time, years ago, I used spectroscope grade carbon rods to
make sure of lack of contamination. And yes, you get magnetically separable
particles as a result. For those who are wont to believe this must be some
sort of magnetic pyrolytic graphite, it's easy to test chemically proving
that these particles are indeed iron. Just dissolve in dilute sulfuric acid,
and react with potassium ferricyanide. If you get that characteristic
Prussian blue color, it's iron. Case closed.

I'm still tempted to try the other one: that Kervran science-fair experiment. But I'm not sure that faculty here would dare allow it. That's the version with two quartz sample tubes containing identical water and seeds, one then sprouted, both converted to ash, then elemental- analyze the ash (which should be identical, but supposedly the sprouted-seed ash displays extra elements.) A few ICP spectrometers here, and piles of mass-specs, so, not difficult to eliminate artifacts associated with any one test method. But if it works, then UW chem department becomes the new P&F, who'd originally heard rumors of some obscure crackpot claim involving hydrogen and platinum, and discovered that it was real, to their everlasting chagrin. And credit.

These are the same bunch who will discredit this simple experiment until their dying breath, no matter how incontrovertible it is.

The ones who refuse Galileo's Telescope, we simply wait for them to die.

Then their students (or more probably, after generations) their students' students' students quietly accept the results, since after all, they've been hearing about Cold Fusion ever since they learned to read, and clearly no sane researcher ever objected to CMNS, so what's the big deal?

It's not individuals who follow the dishonest face-saving procedure below, it's also the entire scientific community as a whole...

 "Theories have four stages of acceptance:
     1. this is worthless nonsense
     2. this is an interesting, but perverse, point of view
     3. this is true, but quite unimportant
     4. I've always said so."
    - J.B.S. Haldane, 1963

PS

Buy LENR comic books to contaminate young minds! Donate copies to your local dentist office (or even library, if anyone still goes to libraries:)

  Discover Cold Fusion
  https://www.curtis-press.com/product-category/comics/

William J. Beaty            http://staff.washington.edu/wbeaty/
beaty, chem washington edu  Research Engineer
billb, amasci com           UW Chem Dept,  Bagley Hall RM74
x3-6195                     Box 351700, Seattle, WA 98195-1700