I don't think tracking is necessary to maintain tax revenues for each state.
The purchase of miles could be limited in the same way fuel tanks are
finite in size. Also buying miles would be a local transaction which would
ensure the funds go to the state in which the vehicle is mostly driven.

Tacking as a solution is a sort a lazy slide into ever increasing levels of
survillence.

Harry