H LV <hveeder...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Also buying miles would be a local transaction which would ensure the
> funds go to the state in which the vehicle is mostly driven.

Rather similar to buying gasoline in Georgia or South Carolina as you drive
north.

A cell phone knows what State you are in. It adjusts the local time. It
could pay whatever State you happen to be in when you "recharge" the
mileage.

The only problem with these schemes is they would require new hardware in
automobiles. My first suggestion, reading the odometer once a year, could
be done with existing cars. For that reason, perhaps both schemes could be
implemented at first, with the annual odometer method phased out when the
entire fleet of cars is replaced. In Georgia, they used to have annual
emissions tests that required dynamometers. Around 1990 they began
connecting to the automobile computer instead, and no longer needed
dynamometers. By 2015 or so, there were only a few dynamometers left in
Atlanta. My car needed one, so I had to drive to a seedy neighborhood
downtown once a year. They phased out the requirement for cars over 25
years old, then that car abruptly died. I miss it . . .