Robin <mixent...@aussiebroadband.com.au> wrote:

> However, for
> >large scale storage, hydrogen may have an edge. I wouldn't know about
> that.
>
> I think it would, because the fuel/electrolysis cell itself is of fixed
> size, and hence cost, whereas the cost of
> hydrogen storage in a tank decreases per unit volume, with the size of the
> tank. This is not true of batteries.

That's a good point. It resembles pumped storage with a large lake
upstream. You can store as much as you like, with no increased cost per
megawatt-hour for additional storage.

(I guess if they had to compress the hydrogen gas in a storage tank, that
might start costing more as the system approached capacity.)

Speaking of wind power, they are building a GIGANTIC wind farm in the North
Sea:

https://doggerbank.com/

Here is an interesting document about the potential of offshore wind:

https://www.iea.org/reports/offshore-wind-outlook-2019

Quote:

". . . offshore wind has the potential to generate more than 420 000 TWh
per year worldwide. This is more than 18 times global electricity demand
today."