I wrote:

It is busy right now, but if I were to ask it: "Why is cold fusion
> pseudoscience nonsense?" it would trot out the usual skeptical claims.

Yup. It is back online. And here is what it said:

ME: Why is cold fusion pseudoscience and nonsense?

ChatGPT: Cold fusion, also known as Low Energy Nuclear Reactions (LENR), is
a controversial field of research that proposes a nuclear reaction at room
temperature without the high energy input required for traditional nuclear
reactions. The reason why cold fusion is considered pseudoscience and
nonsense is because the scientific community has not been able to replicate
the results claimed by the original experimenters.

When the original announcement of cold fusion was made in 1989 by
Fleischmann and Pons, the scientific community was excited by the
possibility of a new source of clean and abundant energy. However,
subsequent attempts to replicate their results failed, and many scientists
were unable to reproduce the claimed excess heat.

Furthermore, theoretical calculations show that the conditions required for
cold fusion to occur are highly unlikely to occur naturally in the
environment. The Coulomb barrier, which prevents two positively charged
atomic nuclei from approaching each other too closely, is too strong to be
overcome at room temperature, and there is no known physical mechanism that
would allow for such a barrier to be overcome.

Finally, there have been many instances of fraud and misrepresentation in
the cold fusion community, which has further damaged the credibility of the
field. Overall, the lack of reproducibility, the implausibility of the
proposed mechanism, and the history of fraud and misrepresentation all
contribute to why cold fusion is considered pseudoscience and nonsense by
the scientific community.

Here is the response to my other enquiry:

Some people say artificial intelligence is a real breakthrough. Others say
it is just hype. Give two responses, on each side of this debate, in the
form of letters to the editor.

Response 1 (Supporting AI as a breakthrough):

Dear Editor,

Artificial Intelligence (AI) is undoubtedly one of the most significant
technological breakthroughs of our time. With its ability to process vast
amounts of data at incredible speeds, AI is revolutionizing industries from
healthcare to transportation. AI-powered systems are able to detect
patterns, make predictions, and even learn from experience, making them
invaluable tools for businesses and governments alike.

Moreover, AI has the potential to solve some of the world's most pressing
problems, such as climate change and disease outbreaks. With its ability to
analyze large amounts of data, AI can help us understand complex systems
and make informed decisions that can lead to a better future.

The hype surrounding AI is not unwarranted, as the technology is already
delivering real-world benefits and has the potential to transform our
society in profound ways. It is up to us to ensure that AI is developed and
used responsibly, but there is no doubt that AI is a breakthrough that has
the power to change the world for the better.

Sincerely, [Name]

Response 2 (Arguing AI is just hype):

Dear Editor,

The hype surrounding Artificial Intelligence (AI) is overblown, and it is
not the revolutionary breakthrough that many claim it to be. While AI has
made significant strides in recent years, it still falls short of
human-level intelligence and cannot replicate our ability to reason and
understand the world around us.

Moreover, the deployment of AI systems is not without risk. Biases in data
or programming can lead to discriminatory outcomes, and the widespread
adoption of AI systems could lead to job displacement and other social and
economic problems.

The current hype around AI is driven by a desire for innovation and the
hope that it will solve some of our most pressing problems. However, this
hype ignores the limitations and potential risks of AI and overlooks the
fact that many of these problems require social and political solutions,
not technological ones.

While AI may have some benefits, we should not be swayed by the hype and
should approach the technology with caution and skepticism.

Sincerely, [Name]

A "folksy" version:

Response 1 (Supporting AI as a breakthrough):

Howdy Editor!

I reckon' there ain't no doubt that Artificial Intelligence (AI) is the
bee's knees of technology! It's got more brains than a rocket scientist and
can crunch data faster than a rodeo bull.

With AI, we can unlock all kinds of new opportunities, from personalized
medicine to self-driving cars. Heck, it's even learning how to beat us at
our own games!

The folks who say AI is just hype must be missing out on all the
excitement. With its ability to think, learn, and reason, AI is already
transforming the world as we know it.

So y'all best saddle up and join the AI revolution, 'cause it's gonna be a
wild ride!

Best regards, [Name]

Response 2 (Arguing AI is just hype):

Howdy Editor,

Now hold yer horses for a minute, 'cause I ain't convinced that this
Artificial Intelligence (AI) thing is all it's cracked up to be. Sure, it's
got some fancy algorithms and can process data faster than a greased pig,
but can it really replace good ol' human intuition?

I mean, how do we know it ain't just a bunch of hooey? We've seen this
before with other tech fads that turned out to be nothing more than snake
oil.

And don't get me started on the risks! Who knows what kind of mess we'll
end up with if we let these AI algorithms run amok?

So, let's slow our roll on this AI thing and make sure we ain't hitching
our wagon to a falling star.

Regards, [Name]