I agree with all the interesting comments below, both Stephen's and yours,
relative to the unavoidable antenna aspect of a coil, which makes it non purely
inductive to some extent when current varies with time.

However, may I remind you that my initial statement, which you deemed 100%
incorrect, simply said that "keeping the current going" in an isolated
non-resistive current loop would not consume energy. In which case i is
constant in time, so the frequency f of the signal is zero, so the wavelength
lambda = c/f is infinite, so the radiation resistance:

Rr= 31171 * A^2/lambda^2  (with A the area of the circular loop) is zero.

So the power Rr*i^2 consumed in Rr is zero too. This still doesn't make my loop
consume energy.

However this discussion on radiation makes me think there is indeed one thing I
have overlooked and which will make my constant-current loop consume energy,
it's synchrotron radiation. You know, that thing which should make electrons
lose energy while orbiting their nucleus. I doubt it can be significant at the
low speed of electrons in wires though.

All this goes to show that there is more than meets the eye in a "simple"
current loop.

BTW, wrt your initial problem with the energy balance of aligning magnetic
dipoles, title of this thread, if you object to the use of magnetic potential
energy you could, equivalently, consider the work of the magnetic torque as
your source of energy. It should be equal to the increase in kinetic energy
plus any radiated energy to verify coe.

Michel