If you have the patience, this CalTech Electric Field Applet can
be used to set up a simulation of the charged apparatus, the ion charges and
the putative excess negative charge of the earth and the positive
ionosphere.

http://www.cco.caltech.edu/~phys1/java/phys1/EField/EField.html

My rough calculations before embarking on "flying" the 1.5 kg VDG plus
a 2 kg 12 volt battery pack plus a 0.5 kg inverter and 0.5 kg  heavy gauge
aluminum
foil atop a well isolated 10 kg capacity digital scale, indicates that a
lift of 3 kg can be attained
with a potential of 1.5 million volts on a device with the negative charge
pumped
from the inner sphere to the surrounding outer sphere by the VDG. But don't
bet on it.  :-)

Fred

Measure
> >> more thrust than that in a device, and then you'll have found evidence
of
> >> something else contributing, until then you're an idiot ion wind
skeptic :)

> > I haven't really done any lifter experiments (not one light enough to
take
> > off anyway) and math isn't my strong suit,
>
> It doesn't have to take off, you can measure the decrease in apparent
weight. As for the maths, it boils down to:

all kinds of voltages and currents. As I said, you're the ion wind skeptic:

> skep·tic also scep·tic
> n.
> 1. One who instinctively or habitually doubts, questions, or disagrees
with assertions or generally accepted conclusions

> > in which case what are you doing here?
>
> Wasting my time on someone who doesn't have a clue.

> >> power
> >> hurt
> >> meat

> >> The friend who made that description of the pain plays with high
voltages
> >> at the kW level, do you?  :)
> >

> > No,  not kW levels, in fact you can get what I described from a 12w
flyback
> > that powers a plasma globe.
>
> How cute, is this what you tried to fly your lifter with? :) You can get
what my friend Xavier (fka Saviour) from Blazelabs described from the 1kW
multi-flyback shown on his site (a supply I know quite well :).