I wrote:

> Some papers report only the excess power normalized to volume of Pd,
> which is annoying. Especially when you have no idea what the volume
> of Pd is. See, for example, Table 10, p. 44 in this otherwise excellent paper:
>
> http://lenr-canr.org/acrobat/MilesManomalousea.pdf
>
> This is really only useful for a comparison, not to get the absolute
> value. . . .

Come to think of it, the purpose of this table is to make a comparison, and the
only way to do that is to normalize the values for different samples. Otherwise
you are comparing apples to oranges. So that was a dumb thing for me to say.

Miles assumed that the volume of the Pd is the key factor. I think nowadays
many people think the surface area is key. Ed Storms would say it is the NAE,
but that is impossible to measure with our present state of knowledge. So
normalizing against volume is imperfect but better than nothing.