Harry Veeder wrote:

So most reseachers claim they (implicitly) know enough about the phenomena
to improve the COP, but it is beneath them to test this claim??

No, that is not what I mean. Please read the message more carefully and stop putting words in my mouth.

Anyone with knowledge of electrochemistry knows how to improve the overall COP, when you define that as electrochemical power input versus total output. Improving that ratio proves nothing. The only thing you want to improve is the power of the cold fusion reaction, which is separate and not directly correlated with electrolysis power.

It is time for more science, and fewer "I-don't-do-engineering" excuses.

Improving the COP would be engineering, not science. As I said previously, it would also interfere with the science in many cases, which is why it is not done.