Harry Veeder wrote:-

<<It is more like the difference between burning gasoline as a liquid vs gasoline as a vapour. While you need to exert some effort to vaporise the gasoline, the COP is still much bigger>>

No Harry, the error you made is exactly the one I pointed out using an accelerator (gas) pedal as an analogy. I don't know how long you have been around, but Jed and I and Ed Storms and Terry Blanton have been commenting and arguing about this subject since the news broke in 1989. Many people have brought up your point before. Most people "skilled in the art", and those who follow them, realise that the electrolysis is only a means of preparation of the conditions necessary for CF to occur. The fact that "heat after death" is a well known phenomenon, where there is no further electrolysis (no input electrical, or other, energy) but heat continues to be generated for some time ( approaching "infinite" COP), shows the relative meaninglessness of chasing this form of "COP" - which is exactly what Ed Storms said originally. Try not teaching your grandmother to suck eggs for a change...