On Sat, 12 May 2007, Robin van Spaandonk wrote:
> Everything I've read on Tesla

Please point out where Tesla gives all the details behind this diagram:

   http://amasci.com/graphics/tes_radpat3.gif

You won't find any.

My speculations are based on the assumption that Tesla was very secretive
during his Colorado Springs period, so we have to look for clues, rather
than just assuming that Tesla put his key secrets in articles for
competitors to take.

> suggests that he achieved long distance energy
> transmission by resonating the Earth.

It's been tested and doesn't work.  Something is missing.  The scientific
community assumes that Tesla was crazy, and his scheme couldn't work in
theory.  I on the other hand assume that Tesla was paranoid follwing the
Marconi stuff, and so held back some key bits of technology.  Have you
read about the large glass spheres associated with the Wardenclyffe tower?
Or the "instruments" Tesla was planning on installing in the top?  He only
drops hints to the reporters, but doesn't give details.

The missing pieces of the puzzle could be the large single-electrode tubes
described in Colorado Springs Notes.  What was their purpose?  Why was
Tesla trying to operate these "x-ray tubes" at extreme high power, while
trying to use metal toroid shields to solve the problem of their
destruction by glass perforation?  In hindsight there is a
simple possibility: the tubes provided seeds in the form of relativistic
electrons, and allowed the creation of sparks KMs long.  With such sparks
to produce regions of conductive plasma it becomes possible to create an
immensely tall "virtual antenna tower."   Without such a tower, Tesla
coils don't emit much energy.  (If they did, the FCC would ban them!)

Go see my article http://amasci.com/tesla/tmistk.html

> In short he used the ground as a conductor, so his energy transmission
> was not wireless, it was a "wired" transmission, which explains why it
> was reasonably efficient.
>
> The towers were simply large "doorknob" capacitors which provided the
> capacitance in the tank circuit on the transmitting end. They had to be on
> towers because the voltage was so high, and he wanted to avoid a short to
> ground
> (around the generator that stood on the transmitting end between the resonant
> cavity and the ground connection into which the power was fed).

Hobbyists have built tens of large TCs (perhaps hundreds), and nobody has
duplicated any of Tesla's long distance wireless transmission claims.
Why?  I say it's because of a key element that Tesla patented separately
but carefully avoided discussing.

William J. Beaty                            SCIENCE HOBBYIST website
billb at amasci com                         http://amasci.com
EE/programmer/sci-exhibits   amateur science, hobby projects, sci fair
Seattle, WA  425-222-5066    unusual phenomena, tesla coils, weird sci