PHILIP WINESTONE wrote:

>I keep on saying it:  Bring CF to the people - both investors and users -
>emphatically not the government.  Once a decent application is created . . .

If a decent application could be created, we would not be having this
discussion. If a researcher could make a cell produce even 10 watts reliably,
on demand, we would convince the world in a matter of months. The difficulty is
to get from where we are now to the point where we can "bring CF to the people."

>Keep good ideas away from the government teat.

People are quick to critisize the government, but the fact is, nearly all cold
fusion funding and research has come from the U.S. Government. The best
experiments have been performed in U.S. Navy labs, and many of the research
outside of the government came from DARPA. As far as I know, after 1990 not one
dollar has come from industry, or the universities, charitable foundations
(except for one), or any other source. So far, Uncle Sam has been the most
enlightened and best supporter.

And that is not just true of cold fusion. As I have pointed out before, most of
the breakthroughs in science and technology of the 19th and 20th centuries were
paid for directly or heavily supported by the U.S. and British governments.
Dozens of major breakthroughs from steamships to railroads, airplanes,
computers, the Internet, the maser and laser, space weather forecasting and
GPS, and most medical breakthroughs that would not exist were it not for
government support. There is a lot wrong with the government, but it has done a
magnificent job supporting technology from the time of the Erie Canal to the
present. The only objection I have to this is that we, the taxpayers often foot
the bill for R&D, but private industry ends up raking in the profit. If
anything, we should keep the good ideas away from the corporate teat, or at
least allow the government to collect royalties.