On Jun 24, 2007, at 3:49 PM, William Beaty wrote:

On Sun, 24 Jun 2007, Horace Heffner wrote:

How quickly memory fades:

"When I used a soda straw and blew upon a thread with all my might,
the dot in the mist only moved a little... Not at all like smoke,
they are more like carbon-fiber spiderwebs under high linear
tension...

And now I suspect that chains of charged droplets or ions, if they move fast enough while in an e-field, behave much like a contiguous rope. But
the forces connecting them are e-fields, not thin fibers.

I don't know how thin fibers connecting them got into the discussion? I didn't say anything about fibers. You said "like" above and that implies fiber like characteristics like tensile strength and a thin cohesiveness.

If the droplets are held together into a tight filament by charges then the charges have to alternate. Otherwise they repel each other. The alternative is a true filament stream made by hydrogen bonding, which is what I suggested.

On the other hand, when a sharp liquid cone starts emitting a charged fiber, that's called "electrospinning." Viscous liquids applied to
charged metal electrodes apparently will send out "spider webs"
spontaneously.

It still seems to me only experiment can tell which.  I still think
you should be able to tell the difference by the signals.

Just using an audio amp and a tiny electrode gives no easily detected
signals.

Well, I did suggest a video amp. That may not be enough though. Certainly an artificial strong HF signal could be detected through a filament and the difference between filament and no filament detected, if such filaments do exist.

But in theory, as a droplet or ion approaches an electrode,

I certainly agree the signal from drops on approach may be washed out, but the signal on the needle should not be. If there is a true conductive water filament then it should be possible to put a whopper of a signal on that and pass it right through a ring.

the
voltage on the electrode smoothly rises.  If many charged droplets
approach in a stream, then the electrode voltage will rise high. But then as each droplet actually touches the electrode, it has a vanishingly small
effect on electrode voltage.  All of the voltage step occurred as the
droplet approched, and not as the droplet touched. (I think we are misled by macro effects where a spark leaps whenever a charged sphere is brought
near a grounded plate.)

Therefore, we'd need a grounded plate with microscopic orfices, and an
electrode positioned a microscopic distance behind this plate. That way
when each droplet approached, it would have no effect on electrode
voltage.  But when a droplet passed through one of the holes in the
grounded plate, it would suddenly create a large step in voltage at the electrode. We have to electrically shield the droplet as it approaches,
then only remove the shielding as the droplet is about to touch the
electrode.   I've never tried this test.

Regards,

Horace Heffner