Michel Jullian wrote:

The differences with traditional Li Ion are outlined here:

http://www.altairnano.com/documents/NanoSafeBackgrounder060920.pdf

As a side note: The cross connection between Li ion anomalous overheating of batteries, and LENR has been been mentioned here on a number of occasions. Overheating is often resulting in catastrophic failures in laptop computers, which problem has been going on now for two decades -- and this despite millions of dollars of high-tech engineering from the very best companies, like Sony, Toshiba, IBM, etc.

Obviously they do not believe in LENR, nor the hydrino - so they have not even investigated the cross-connection.

One detail which may have escaped notice is this report from two of Michel's countrymen: Jean-Paul Biberian and Georges Lonchampt

DEUTERIUM GAS LOADING OF PALLADIUM USING A SOLID STATE ELECTROLYTE
The 9th International Conference on Cold Fusion. 2002. Beijing, China:

http://www.lenr-canr.org/acrobat/BiberianJPdeuteriumg.pdf

In which the solid state electrolyte which is being used is polyethylene oxide (PEO) containing deuteriated phosphoric acid. It is a deuteron conductor.

The authors then state without much fanfare:

"This electrolyte is *used in lithium batteries,* and operate between 70 °C and 120 °C."

One assumes that the PEO in batteries is not initially deuterated over natural water (one part in 6000)

- but, even so, one hypothetical reason for the consistent failures in these batteries *after extended usage* can be surmised:

The PEO could itself be effectively enriching and concentrating the natural deuterium found in the acids being used in these batteries, up to a higher level. (or else the reaction does not demand deuterons)

OK - Here is the problem with that assessment - Biberian et al. developed the technique for loading and measuring deuterium in palladium. In this report, however, they have not observed excess heat.

"However in previous experiments with a less accurate calorimeter we have observed temperature anomalies that we wish to confirm with this new system.

This was in 2002. I have not seen an update. Perhaps in both this experiment and in lithium batteries the heat anomaly does not appear until there has been an extended period of build up time - or perhaps there is a hydrino reaction, which is stimulated by the PEO - actually that would be expected from some of Mills' data - due to the presence of oxygen radicals. Hydrino reactions do not need or benefit from Pd anyway.

Too bad that some inventive researcher from Mitsubishi - where LENR has been investigated, seen and announced - does not avail himself of all the recalled Sony lithium batteries (for pennies on the dollar) and run them to failure using CR-39 film to detect the radiation. My bet is that there will be ample radiation to be found at failure. Stand clear - molten lithium is nasty stuff.

Jones

PS It should be noted that the fact that we are seeing this overlap between batteries - and LENR cells - also portends one way in which the excess energy may some day be used.