On Jul 19, 2007, at 6:13 AM, Jones Beene wrote:

Michel Jullian wrote:

The differences with traditional Li Ion are outlined here:

http://www.altairnano.com/documents/NanoSafeBackgrounder060920.pdf

As a side note: The cross connection between Li ion anomalous overheating of batteries, and LENR has been been mentioned here on a number of occasions. Overheating is often resulting in catastrophic failures in laptop computers, which problem has been going on now for two decades -- and this despite millions of dollars of high-tech engineering from the very best companies, like Sony, Toshiba, IBM, etc.
[snip]

Jones, my memory is not very good. I don't recall the mechanism you have suggested for CF extracting energy from O18 interactions. It just occurred to me that O has little interaction at the cathode, and none inside the cathode. Wouldn't O18 interactions take place at an anode?

If O18 is involved in energy release in CF, then maybe it is involved in energy release in polyethylene oxide (PEO) electrolyte batteries. The higher mass would make diffusion of the O18 slower than O16, so it would take longer to diffuse to and accumulate near the anode. Whoops, the oxygen doesn't move in such batteries? It's stuck in the polyethylene oxide? Hmmm... I wonder what the anode reaction is then. I'm utterly confused - but it still seems worth posting because O18 might play some role in all this. It will be interesting to see if the lithium titanate battery continues to have some heating problems despite replacement of the cathode.

Horace Heffner
http://www.mtaonline.net/~hheffner/