On Jul 21, 2007, at 12:08 PM, Michel Jullian wrote:

Horace,

Regarding that external horizontal electrostatic field effect, the electrolyte being essentially a conductor, and the clear plastic walls being insulators, don't you expect charges to rapidly accumulate at the internal surfaces of the vertical plastic walls until the internal horizontal efield from the external electrodes is exactly zero?

Actually, that is exactly the first thing I thought when I first read the article, except maybe the phrase "this is stupid." However, I did not and do not believe the photos or data are faked. Also, the authors are credible. Fig. 2 is very convincing. I took the article on its face value and went from there with my thinking. Note the plastic walls conduct, so when it comes to HV static fields, there is still something going on there different from the case where there are no HV electrodes. The plastic really isn't quite the barrier it appears to be. More importantly, there is in fact a large potential drop across the gap between ground and the HV electrode. Any "neutralization" of that E field comes in the form of changes in charge concentration, both in the electrolyte and in the electrodes. Both may be significant and work together. The 2 molecule thick "interface" layer on the cathode surface contains much of the potential drop in an ordinary electrochemical cell. A change in charge concentration there, on both sides, due to a superimposed E field, can possibly assist a cold fusion mechanism. Based on Fig. 2 this change in charge concentration does exist and has a measurable or at least identifiable effect on the cathode chemistry and morphology.

The gas mode version I just suggested avoids this issue entirely I hope.

Michel

----- Original Message -----
From: "Horace Heffner" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: <vortex-l@eskimo.com>
Sent: Saturday, July 21, 2007 8:04 PM
Subject: [Vo]:Degenerate electrons, electron fugacity, and cold fusion
Some work has focused on the importance of superimposed electrostatic
fields in or on cathodes, specifically that of S. Szpak, P. A. Mosier-
Boss, F. E. Gordon.  For early work see:

http://lenr-canr.org/acrobat/SzpakSprecursors.pdf

This work noted structural and morphological changes in electrode
structure, dendritic growth, etc., in the presence of strong
electrostatic fields.   Based on this work I suggested a change in
cell geometry to maximize field potential at the surface of the
cathode, and active area of the cathode. See:

http://www.mtaonline.net/~hheffner/Szpak.pdf

Horace Heffner
http://www.mtaonline.net/~hheffner/