For those who do not read French, here is an executive summary (w/o the ape suit) pending corrections from Michel :

This is a non-professional and basic modification of an old Peugeot 505 Diesel which had 243,000 km of travel at the start. One km = ~.6 miles. So this was a well-used vehicle on an incredibly difficult and hot trek across North Africa.

Bottom line is that it consumed about 6 liters per 100 km on this most difficult trek with 3 passengers and baggage.

The corresponding factory estimate, under ideal conditions, new vehicle and only a driver with no other load in urban conditions is about 10.9 liters per 100 km.

I challenge anyone to argue that this does not represent a doubling of the expected efficiency !! Had Peugeot engineers done a professional installation with a fully catalytic reactor - who knows ?

BTW 6 liters (1.59 gallons) per 100 (62.14) km is over 39 miles per gallon. But keep in mind that this is an old vehicle over very difficult conditions - look at the pictures!

Jones

Jones Beene wrote:
Michel

I looked at a few of the direct links you provided but all I can gather is that engines have been modified(they show photos and
diagrams), I couldn't find for what purpose (more mileage presumably?) and with which results. Could you find any before/after mileage data as opposed to enthusiastic talk and mod diagrams?

One page of interest is the Mod of the Peugeot 505. There is some real world data in there, but of course it could have been done in a more professional manner.

http://quanthomme.free.fr/qhsuite/aut34peugeot505herve.htm